Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Final:The Habitable Wall

The Assignment: To create a habitable wall for our assigned person. 20x20x14 were the measurement requirements.

My assigned person was jazz singer, Nnenna Freelon
When going into this assignment there were some elements about Freelon that I wanted to keep in mind.
-bold
-flow
-femininity
-entertainment

Step one:
I first went through magazines before i did my sketches. But here are the sketches that most influenced my project.





The next phase of the project was to make different sketch models to more explore our first ideas.




This is the idea that i finally decided on. This model received the most postive feedback for what I was trying to achieve, which was a space that was bold and feminie while incorporating a unique look.



After doing the sketch models we had to do a scale model of our more refined idea. When doing this model, I was forced to address the separation of space: public vs. private. When addressing this, I created a private space for her by extending the curve to create a space behind the wall.




Time to add color! The next phase was to add color to our models. When adding color, I wanted the color to speak to who Nnenna Freelon was as an artist. So I chose black, purple, and clear to be in the public space. I chose these vibrant bold colors because that is what I think of when I think about jazz music. I think of the creativeness and boldness that goes into such jazz genres as scat and improvisation. For the private space, I wanted to use more serene colors.



The Final Projects

The presentation board:



The model


Her private space. I added more shelving for storage.


For the public space, I raised the bar to be 4 1/2 feet tall.

1 comment:

Sheryl Songsong said...

Hello Monique,

I'm Sheryl Songsong and I work for an interior design magazine here in the Philippines.

My Home Magazine is a local glossy home and lifestyle publication. We make it a point to showcase trend-setting interiors, furniture and accessories. We are currently working on our October - Style and 8th Anniversary issue, wherein the section entitled Trends intends to feature your blog website as part of the directory of design links.

I was wondering if you will allow us to link your page and if we can use some of the photos posted to back up our link.

Thank you very much. We hope to hear a favorable response from you soon!

Sincerely,

Sheryl Songsong
Editorial Assistant - MyHome
Mega Publishing Group

18/F Strata 100 Building
Emerald Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig
Metro Manila Philippines 1605

Phone: (2) 631 2859 loc 289
Fax : (2) 634 2616
Web : www.myhomemag.com
Email: sheryl.songsong@megapublishinggroup.com