Thursday, September 4, 2008

Reading+Riding+Recording

When completing this assignment, I decided to do the bus route first. I really did not want to take the bus down here because that was the reason I had brought my car, so I would not have to take the bus. I guess when you grow up in the city and you take the bus for most of your life, hearing that your assignment requires you to take the bus really doesn't get the juices flowing. But I am glad to say that the bus ride I took down here was quite different my the bus rides I've taken back home in Washington, DC.

So Nacarra and I got together to take our bus route. We ended up getting on bus 1 going towards Wendover Ave. Of course I have been to Wendover Ave. plenty of times, but going on the bus forces you to take a different direction and pay attention to things that you never even knew existed. On this bus route I got to go through different neighborhoods ranging from the nice college towns to some of the lower class neighborhoods. It kind of reminded me a lot of home. The only difference is that at home the buses usually don't go through different neighborhood classes. If you stay in the projects that bus only goes through the projects. There are some exceptions. So lets get to the pictures of my bus trip.

















After taking my bus route, I read the assigned reading Civility and Civil Rights. The reading talked about the era of the 1960s and the fight for desegration not only in the South but across the country. This is a subject that I have studied a great deal especially being that I have always gone to all black schools. No matter how much you read it, you never really get used to hearing about the discrimination that your people faced, even your own family members. The part that I think about the most after reading this is the torture that students had to go through when trying to get a better education. Just to think that someone my age had to face rocks being thrown at them, death threats, verbal abuse, and so much more, my hat always goes off to them. If it were not for them paving the way, I would not be here at UNCG.

Although I have studied the civil rights era in much detail, it was refreshing to hear about what the HBCU's did to contribute to the civil rights movement. One fact that I did not know was that Martin Luther King spoke at Bennett College. A fact that I was aware of but motivates me every time is to know that students at North Carolina A&T started to sit-in movements. To know that although you are a young person you can change the world is mind boggling.

After reading the reading and taking the bus route is is great to see how far Greensboro has come even though they still have fare to go. Along my route I saw a mix of races but when it came to neighborhoods, the racial segregation was distinct. One of the areas that my bus route took me through was an all black neighborhood and sad to say it was not a well to do neighborhood. Its still sad that some of these stereotypes we still carry.

1 comment:

Jamie Lea said...

sorry i'am such a slacker and haven't taken the time to give you feedback but i really enjoyed your story and i love all of your pictures it really helped me see your bus route and understand your personal experience.
nice job, Jamie